Monday, September 12, 2011

Copenhagen Airport and Illums Bolighus getting ready for Christmas

“We are all very excited about showing some of the Scandinavian Christmas traditions to our international guests at Copenhagen Airport. This year, we focus on elements from the forest, such as pine trees, mushrooms and acorns. A new feature this year is unglazed porcelain, which is in contrast to the frosty blue shades which are the backbone of the exhibition, said Martin Graae, Merchandise Manager at Illums Bolighus.

The gateway to Scandinavia
According to Carsten Nørland, VP, Sales at Copenhagen Airports A/S, the cosy Danish Christmas atmosphere and the many traditions are very popular among passengers who use Christmas decorations for gifts in the months before Christmas.

“Copenhagen Airport is the gateway to Scandinavia and represents the best of Danish design and architecture. The Christmas shop mirrors Scandinavian handicraft traditions and quality, which many of our passengers want to take with them on their journeys, he added.

Christmas for adults
The opening ceremony was attended by three of Denmark’s best known Christmas decoration designers, who each gave their suggestions of what will be the 2010 Christmas trends.

Oda Wiedbrecht exports her special Danish crafts worldwide, and her paper cuts are an absolute hit among tourists. Oda Wiedbrecht made the following comments about her Christmas motifs:
“I usually say that I do Christmas for grown-up children. People tend to go back to things they remember from their childhood. That feels comfortable and cosy, she said adding, “The style of my paper cuts with nostalgic, cosy and traditional motifs has become more popular in recent years. I see that as a result of the financial crisis. In times of crisis, people like to go back to things they remember and feel good about.

Focus on things that are light as a feather
Jette Frølich’s Christmas collection is based on things that are light as a feather: “A combination of carbon paper and a bit of metal, that’s my style. I have developed my design in this direction over many years, she said. According to Jette Frølich, gold has been a great hit for ten years. Today that seems “a bit too much “I therefore began using zinc, which is more rustic, as well as silver and iron together with my handmade paper cuts. I see a beginning trend of using several colours.

Christmas with power and shine
Designer Ole Kortzau presented his Karen-Blixen-inspired Christmas decorations designed for Rosendal, most of them in silver. “What is interesting for me is to design things that are attractive and decorative. Something I would like to use for my own decorations. The decorations should not look like something made at a factory; so many other things look like that. That’s is not what I like to do, said Ole Kortzau and added; “I make things that shine. Examples are my candleholders and my stars for the Christmas tree. They have an uneven surface which makes for interesting light reflections. They are extremely shiny and make for a powerful experience, he said.

The Illums Bolighus Christmas shop is on the main “street in the shopping area on Nytorv.

No comments:

Post a Comment